Friday, November 29, 2013

Belfast and Derry (Again) (also whiskey)

We drove from Cashel to Belfast. Our plan was to go to the Titanic Museum the next day. After some difficulties trying to find a hotel, we ended up at the Europa. I kept this to myself at the time, but the Europa is the most bombed hotel in Europe.
Bill Clinton stayed there too. That I mentioned a couple times, just to see how my travel companions would react.
It was such a nice hotel though.

There was an actual working TV. I COULD WATCH 8 OUT OF 10 CATS. 

Sweet view too. 

We headed over to the Titanic Museum next. This time we went to the docks and pumphouse. This is the last place the Titanic was held on dry land. 


The dock



The pump house. 

We drove to Derry after this. I had class on Friday morning, so I went to that, and then we took a taxi tour of Derry. I'd been wanting to take one for quite a while, so I was excited for that. The weather was really bad though. So that sucked. The taxi driver took us over to the bogside, where the Bloody Sunday Massacre happened. There are tons of murals. I need to go back when the weather is better to take some pictures, but here are a few:

The famous "Free Derry" mural

All the victims of Bloody Sunday. 

We then went to the Free Derry museum. It's small, but it was so interesting. The man working the front desk told us that his brother was killed that day. He came over and pointed out his brother's shirt that he was wearing that day. 

The next day, we went back to the Giant's Causeway, but we first stopped at the Bushmills Distillery. It's the oldest distillery in the world! Also there was a cat:

Meow



I'd never had whiskey before. It tasted like death. But good death. No one could finish their whiskey, so I had to drink it for them. What a burden.

We went to the Giant's Causeway next. It looked the same, but this creepy cloud formation happened on the way home:

So that's a no. 







No comments:

Post a Comment